Thursday, November 25, 2010

Sweat, Sweaters and Streatch Pants

Today is Thanksgiving day, and for me, that means cooking. 

When we got married, my wife and I had a deal, I would cook and she would do the laundry.  This allowed her not to have to cook, which she doesn't like to do, while at the same time not risking the integrity of our collective wardrobes by subjecting out closes to the way that I did laundry at the time, which was putting everything in one load and washing it on cold.

It really is a win-win deal, because I like to cook and I don't like to do laundry.

I started cooking this morning at 7:30, with a big holiday breakfast.  To our oldest, this is the significant part of most holidays, because there are few things that he likes more than bacon, and one of those few things is Biscuits and Gravy, and this holiday breakfast had both!

When I Started Cooking the temperature outside was 76 degrees, yes at 7:30 am on November 25th (unusual even for Houston)

We all gathered around the television after breakfast to watch the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade.  One of the Local TV stations was showing the local HEB Thanksgiving Day Parade which is held in Downtown Houston, but instead decided to live vicariously through throngs of people in Ne York who actually had to wear Jackets and gloves because it was not 76 degrees.

When I started cooking the turkey at 11:00am it was 84 degrees outside and it was everything that I could do to mop my brow often enough to prevent drippage on the bird.  The humidity was vintage Houston, the moisture in the air was just shy of making it necessary to be certified in SCUBA to walk outside.

By the time we sat down to eat at around 5:00 pm, it was starting to cool down and it was a mere 80 degrees.  Even though the airconditionaing was churning away trying to keep a comfortable temperature to spite the fact that I had two ovens, every burner on the stove and the dishwasher on its fifth cycle of the day, I was somewhat short of comfortable by the time I changed my clothes and got ready to sit down for dinner.

While we were eating dinner the cold front that was promised to us all week finally arrived and we opened the window in the Dinning Room to allow some much needed fresh air into the room, and it actually started to get comfortable in there until my mother-in-law (I am confident that there will be many post about her in the future of this blog) said that she was  (try to say the next word with a Puerto Rican accent in your head) "FREEZING" (good job I knew you could do it), so we closed up the window and made coffee.

As is the birth right of every American I ate too much, though it was all pretty good, if I do say so myself.  This concludes the stretch parts section of the post, I am pretty sure that it is pretty self explanatory or in the words Forrest Gump... "that's all I have to say about that".

8:30pm - Now keep in mind that it was 84 degrees just 3 hours ago - IT's SNOWING - IN HOUSTON!

A forty degree drop in temperature in three and a half hours and snow.... I think that it is a Thanksgiving miracle, or a cruel joke on Al Gore....I think I like that possibility best :)

No comments:

Post a Comment